+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caverject (Alprostadil)

ydrohoos is offline Junior Member ydrohoos is on a distinguished road

Default Caverject (Alprostadil)

I guess you may have heard of the penis injection solution.

From what i have read, i understand that an injection produces an erection regardless of stress or anxiety.

...of course, it is still an injection...

Caverject - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prostaglandin E1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flavio is offline Senior Member Flavio is on a distinguished road

I've read a lot about alprostadil injections and they seem to be very effective, but I would never try them. I'd rather not have sex at all. I'm terrified of needles.

I have tried an alprostadil cream (brand name BEFAR) but it didn't work. I was probably too anxious and couldn't get an erection.

I would consider taking the Maki-K gene injection, though - if it were given by a doctor. It is safe and one injection every sex months seems to be enough.

Caravan is offline Member Caravan is on a distinguished road

I went to the Boston Medical Group and got this.

I spent a small fortune, and by a small fortune I mean about $700 (plus the $200 fee for going there + a day out of work + traveling to New York).

I was prescribed 8cc of whatever the stuff is, tried it, didn't do much. Called the doctor, tried 10cc, still didn't do much. Called him again, was to try 12cc, but never got around to it, that was it for me. It felt WEIRD. And man do I mean weird. Even though I was never fully erect, it felt like someone was grabbing your junk and squeezing it.

buffalobil is offline Junior Member buffalobil is on a distinguished road

Penile injection therapy was discovered fortuitously. In 1980, the French physician Ronald Virag reported that during penile surgery, he inadvertently injected an anesthetized patient in the wrong part of the penis with papaverine - a substance derived from the opium poppy. The resulting relaxation of the smooth muscle of the penile arterial walls created an unexpected two-hour erection. This mistake prompted serious research into the use of injectable medications to relieve ED. Around the same time, Giles Brindley, a British physiologist and research scientist, discovered that injecting the drug phenoxybenzamine into the corpora cavernosa of the penis could produce an erection within minutes. At a meeting in Paris in 1984, New York urologist Dr. Adrian Zorgniotti presented his first case studies of self-injection utilizing a combination of papaverine and phentolamine. The latter drug blocks the action of neurotransmitters that cause vasoconstriction, causing the smooth muscles of the penis to relax. Two years later, Japanese researchers presented evidence that injecting the drug prostaglandin E-1 produced powerful erections. Slowly, news of the favorable results with the injectable medication began to spread within the small international community of urologists who were treating ED. Most began utilizing all three (papaverine, phentolamine, and prostaglandin E-1) in what was referred to as "trimix."

Caverject (alprostadil), also called prostaglandin. This 1995 FDA-approved prescription drug comes in two strengths in a disposable, single-dose syringe that's pre-filled with the erection-enhancing medication. Injected directly into the base of the penis five minutes before a sexual encounter, the drug increases blood flow and produces an erection. Caverject is much more readily available than trimix (you need a pharmacy with a compounding license for this preparation). Many men like the convenience of Caverject. It doesn't need to refrigerated and it's easier to transport.

In addition to caverject, many men prefer the original trimix since straight alporstadil can result in painful erections. Trimix requires less alporstadil so the possibility of painful erections is significantly reduced. If someone is still feeling discomfort with trimix a combination of papaverine and phentolamine (bimix) can be tried. Bimix and Trimix of considerably cheaper than Caverject. The respective amounts of each ingredient can be tailored to meet each users individual needs. The downside is both must be ordered from a compounding pharmacy and kept in refrigeration.

MUSE (available since 1997) employs a small, specially-designed plastic plunger that is placed on the tip of the penis. Once the plunger is pressed, a rice-size pellet of medication (alprostadil) is pushed into the urethra. Moisture left by urine causes the pellet to dissolve, triggering an erection minutes later. Certainly less invasive than a hypodermic injection of medication, MUSE, an acronym for "medicated urethral system for erection," turns out to be a poor solution. Many men complain of a burning pain in the penis after the drug has been inserted, and there is a small risk of urethral injury. MUSE is not very popular and its effectiveness is listed at about 10%.

There is a Pharmacy compounding Trimix Gel now. It is not used topically on the penis however. It is squirted into the urethra much like the MUSE system but doesn’t seem to involve the complications that MUSE produced. Its effectiveness is reported to be somewhere in the range of 40%.

I am certain the Boston Group uses some custom formulation involving one or all three of the above.

Tuls is offline Junior Member Tuls is on a distinguished road

Caverject Impulse is off the market for now. Apparently it will not be available again until mid 2010.

As for me...I think it a fine product. I would agree if you fear needles, this is not the solution for you. But, if you go to a competent urologist and get an Rx (once it is again available) it works.

It is the same stuff as Muse. If Muse works for you, that might be a better choice. If you need more than Muse has to offer, then Caverject is it!

Caverject is offline Junior Member Caverject is on a distinguished road

Default Serious?

Hey,
    I would like to know your opinion. Do you think caverject.de.tl is legitimate? So far I could not find a better shop.

I look forward to answers. Happy new year!

docfcd is offline Junior Member docfcd is on a distinguished road

Default docfcd

buffalobil gave a great history of the injection material. Most Urologist are now prescribing tri mix...which is a combination of phentolamine, papavarine and prostaglandin. It is easier to control, works about 95 % of the time and has no side effect other than an occasional bruise at the injection site. All Urologist know about it. Visit one to see if you need it. In the mean time, go to and get a copy of my new book which will be just like a visit to the Urologist. Best to all of you.

Caravan is offline Member Caravan is on a distinguished road

There are generic versions of the Caverject available. A urologist gave me a generic prescription along with a prescription for needles and I used that.

+ Reply to Thread